You have most likely heard all about the Government's energy company funded boiler grant scheme, but did you know you could also get a grant towards insulating your home? In a nutshell, if you're on specific benefits and meet set criteria there could be a free insulation grant out there with your name on it.
Until the end of September 2018 eligible fuel poor households can apply for a free insulation grant. The scheme, which sometimes goes by the name of ECO (that's short for Energy Company Obligation), was introduced in 2013 to help millions of fuel poor households who struggle to heat their homes with inefficient central heating boilers and poor insulation.
Here's a few more things you should know about the insulation grant scheme:
- Only homeowners and private tenants can apply. Tenants renting privately will need to get permission from their landlord first. If you have a verbal tenancy agreement or live with parents Ofgem's unwritten tenancy agreement can be used to demonstrate your status.
- Insulation grants will be available until the Energy Company Obligation closes its doors, which will be in September 2018.
- The free insulation grant scheme isn't open to everyone unfortunately. You have to be on certain benefits to apply and the criteria is very strict. For example pensioners need to be in receipt of Pension Guarantee Credit; a state pension alone will not be enough.
- The scheme is funded by the Big Six energy companies and as well as helping you keep your home warm, it helps the government meet its energy saving targets. Energy providers risk massive fines if they don't meet carbon emissions targets set by the Government.
- The scheme applies to lofts with less than 60mm (2.5") of insulation, as well as houses made of brick built between 1924 and 1982. Your house also needs to pass a suitability test - if you have a significant damp problem, you may not qualify.
- There are grants available for loft, room in roof, internal wall, external wall and cavity wall insulation. You may also qualify for a boiler grant under the same government ECO scheme.
- The grant itself is completely free and there will not be any hidden costs of any kind. You may have to make a contribution towards the cost of the work, but we can let you know when we check your eligibility.
- Getting your hands on a free insulation grant is a pretty simple and straightforward process. Simply fill in the form and if you could be eligible one of our friendly team will give you a call to guide you through the rest of the process.